onlyfighters

June 02, 2012

Wendell Roche: ''If I am in the K-1 tournament I will win it!''


Wendell Roche talked exclusively to OnlyFighters after his recent fight against Daniel Ghita at the comeback of K-1 this past Sunday. Here is what he told us about his fight there. The interview was given to our columnist Vaios Brouziotis.

Vaios Brouziotis: We saw you had a rough start to your match against Ghita. You took some hard punches and kicks, and you were definitely out of your comfort zone. Later you found your balance somehow until the fall at the end of the first round. Was the power of Ghita a surprise to you?

Wendell Roche: No it wasn't a surprise. He did exactly what I wanted him to do. By hitting hard it will cost him a lot of power. That was my way of fighting because he was much younger and heavier, so I had to tire him up.

V. Brouziotis: How difficult was the decision for you to take to fight Daniel Ghita just a few days before the event?

W. Roche: For me it doesn't matter if you wake me up in the morning to fight. What will I say if a robber come to my house? Give me some weeks to prepare? So I am always prepared, and I always make sure I have condition so I can run away to the police. 


V. Brouziotis: Both punches and kicks did some good damage to you during the fight. Do you think he is better in punching or kicking?

W. Roche: This is K-1! Εvery one have good kicks and punches and every kick and every punch will do damage!

V. Brouziotis: You had never been stopped before this fight and I have to say to you we loved your reaction when your corner threw the white towel in the ring. It was obvious you didn’t want to quit and you were there to fight Ghita more. Tell me about that. Was the fight over for you at that point?

W. Roche: For my feeling at that moment Ι just get started. My corner throw the towel a bit too late or too early. If they have thrown it when Ι was having the eight counts after knock down, it will have been in time, but they threw it as I was recovering, refinding myself and starting to do good! So for me it wasn't the right moment.

V. Brouziotis: Lately I see kick boxing experts writing that Daniel Ghita is the big favourite to win K-1 this year and not Badr Hari. What do you believe?

W. Roche: I believe if I am in the K-1 tournament I will win it!


V. Brouziotis: You came in Greece twice and you won both times our toughest Greek heavyweight fighter Antonis Tzoros. Tell me about Tzoros and your experience here. Was he better at the first or at the second time? 

W. Roche: Tzoros is a sports man. For me the first time was better than the second. Ι think the second time he underestimated me because Ι was in Lebanon, but they should never forget that Ι will always keep myself top fit at any place in this world.

V. Brouziotis: Ηow was the feeling fighting for the new K-1?

W. Roche: It was a great feeling fighting for the new K-1! The organization was very proud for having me. I show the world my capacities without any training. Yes, Ι hope to be there again.

V. Brouziotis: By closing any message to the Greek fans?

W. Roche: http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/images/blank.gifI want to thank them a lot for their support because there is a big crisis in Greece now and yet they still manage to come and see my fights there. So when there is a will there is a way! Τhank you all very much!

Watch again the fight of Wendell Roche against Daniel Ghita!